Nice Paper Toys

The Papertoy Network!

Hi all.
I'm a bit of a newbie to this whole papertoy making scene. I've done about 3 (working on a 4th for public release, the others are early and really "not ready") And I've enjoyed the process greatly, but I've run into a small problem.
There are really only so many basic shapes you can work with, so it's inevitable that some elements of my toy are going to be like elements of an already established one. My question is, at what point is the similarity considered derivative? After finishing my first toy, I realized it looked a bit like Rommy (albeit much simpler). I'm not trying to be a rip-off artist (my toy isn't based on other templates) but I'm not trying to dodge design elements that work just because they're already in use. How is this sort of thing generally thought about?
Keep up the awesome work to all designers,
Thanks,
Chuck

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Chuck,
I agree with Marshall's advice. There area few simple forms everyone uses. It's kind of like music, while there are only so many notes, the creative combining of those notes can create something that is both familiar and strikingly original. So as you grow as a papertoy designer I think it's totally fine to start in familiar territory and as you grow and gain skills with each new project you can really hit some new creative ground! Paper at first seems a bit limiting but the more you get to know her the more you start to see the endless possibilities. It's pretty addictive. I'm always up for challenging my own preconceived notions of what paper can and can't do and always trying to inspire others to break free of theirs too.
Good luck on your creative journey through the paper-verse!
Look forward to seeing your new work,
Matt
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I guess I'll try it out and see what happens! I'm not actually sure how to go about putting my design up here, but it's still got some time to go before it's done.
i'd say do what you gotta do,
if you feel one of your models looks like, or is influenced by someone elses model,
let people know when you release it.

there is only so much you can do with paper, (if you want people to build them)
so we are all gonna cross over into each others shapes :)

as long as you aren't blatantly ripping off someone elses work
and trying to pass it off as your own, you go for it.
Thanks a lot, I like the advice.

RSS

Check out these amazing Papertoy Books featuring your favorite papertoy artists

Forum

Shin tanka 168 Replies

Started by Zo dude in Sample Title. Last reply by Greenelf Feb 24, 2018.

Community magazine contributions wanted

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized May 21, 2017.

Anyone hunting for Old Cardboy Papercrafts? (Back after 4 years) 18 Replies

Started by Adam T in Sample Title. Last reply by remigio ansorena Nov 4, 2015.

Character art practice for new template 1 Reply

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by eddie rodriguez Sep 4, 2015.

Improvisation Paper-Toys 27 Replies

Started by VinsArt in Sample Title. Last reply by Castleforte Jul 31, 2015.

Who created this paperkit? 13 Replies

Started by 3Eyed Bear in Sample Title. Last reply by Steven Johnson Jan 16, 2015.

Test builders 3 Replies

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shadree Aug 20, 2014.

Another PaperToy idea I have

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title Jul 22, 2014.

Site overrun by spam

Started by Neurogami in Sample Title May 19, 2014.

building new toys!

Started by ryan ellison in Uncategorized Nov 5, 2013.

Badge

Loading…

About

Castleforte created this Ning Network.

© 2021   Created by Castleforte.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service