Nice Paper Toys

The Papertoy Network!

Hey artists,

I know most of you work with paper, but vinyl is a really close cousin of what we're doing.

Does anyone know how to go about casting and producing 200-300 copies of a vinyl toy?

If someone could point me the right way...

Views: 799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh I am not sure but I think you can get a free quote from the website I sent.
Hi there, i've been thinking along the same vibes and have been exploring my universities' engineering department (they have a rapid proto machine that would be awesome to use) Its rare that any arty types go upto main campus, let alone to the engineering block :p

Anyhoo they've got me trying to use pro-engineer - a modelling program that may do all the fancy stress testing simulation but the modelling and graphical front end looks like a slug's arse. After talking with one of the lecturers i gleaned that most places need your 3d model converted to an STL file that the CAM machines can then read and bosh ping.

The only problem with rapid proto like this is that usually it costs a bomb for a very small final thing. I have been looking at an opensource project called REPRAP - a self replicating rapid prototyping machine with free plans and code. looks a lil wobbly atm but it might eventually make clean shapes.

If you're looking for moulding and casting techniques i'd recomend heading over to instructables.com - there are some excellent videos on loads of different types of casting.

Hope this helps.

Tang Mu
I'm glad to see more papertoy makers so interested in vinyl.
by the way, you mentioned how they spin it in a mold...that's called "roto-casting"...and peoples don't think you can't make them yourself...YOU CAN. ;)
it takes work, you need to become familiar with the process as the same as designing, it's only another medium...so, if your not used to it, you need to become accustom to it.
there are many kits out there that deal with resin/pvc/abc..for rapid-prototyping...all different compositions....you experiment enough and find your own comfortability in your liking.
ps: there are plenty of companies that will give you a quote...search for vinyl toy manufacturer....there are thousands...and if you find one, ask for samples of there work...just because there a company doesn't mean their work is good...and no, you don't have to be a famous artist to get a quote....it's called a business....so if your going to get into vinyl toys and you aren't an artist with a name....go out there and make a name for yourself, or get together with about 9 heads that love it as much as you do, and start your own company...YES!...you can do it. 8-)
I had a great idea for casting... you could make a prototype out of hot glue. Just make a mould and then inject hot glue into it.
although i love the idea of this....im not sure how that would actually work, in that you would have to use a hell of a lot of mold release but also the heat would also degrade your original mould quite severly.

to be honest, if you wanted to you could actually look into using different mediums other than vinyl...as lovely as it is. you could do it yourself if you used resin or a number of other materials. if you are looking into doing this make sure you make your mold from silicone as its a lot stronger and more resistant to degrading after multiple uses than latex.

see you do learn things in art school! :)

RSS

Check out these amazing Papertoy Books featuring your favorite papertoy artists

Forum

Shin tanka 168 Replies

Started by Zo dude in Sample Title. Last reply by Greenelf Feb 24, 2018.

Community magazine contributions wanted

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized May 21, 2017.

Anyone hunting for Old Cardboy Papercrafts? (Back after 4 years) 18 Replies

Started by Adam T in Sample Title. Last reply by remigio ansorena Nov 4, 2015.

Character art practice for new template 1 Reply

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by eddie rodriguez Sep 4, 2015.

Improvisation Paper-Toys 27 Replies

Started by VinsArt in Sample Title. Last reply by Castleforte Jul 31, 2015.

Who created this paperkit? 13 Replies

Started by 3Eyed Bear in Sample Title. Last reply by Steven Johnson Jan 16, 2015.

Test builders 3 Replies

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shadree Aug 20, 2014.

Another PaperToy idea I have

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title Jul 22, 2014.

Site overrun by spam

Started by Neurogami in Sample Title May 19, 2014.

building new toys!

Started by ryan ellison in Uncategorized Nov 5, 2013.

Badge

Loading…

About

Castleforte created this Ning Network.

© 2022   Created by Castleforte.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service