Nice Paper Toys

The Papertoy Network!

Hi all,

In some of my designs i use logos of brands like adidas and converse. I posted the pics of the designs at my blog. At this moment i don't share these templates, because of copyrights and stuff like that. Is it allowed to use logos in 'art' [for non commercial use] and what can i expect when the work is published in a magazine or book?
Anyone?

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting point... copyright law is difficult to master in all countries i guess. Maybe someone knows a lawyer whos specialized in this stuff, have to ask around at the next cocktail party i guess. Well, I'd be the first to download the adidas version of the e440. ;)
It's a pity you live in Germany, otherwise i would join your cocktailparty ;)
Thanks
This summer i will release a special edition of this version...
Hehe.. if you'll really build the walking Howl's Moving Castle that will probably take a year or so. The Netherlands are not that far away, maybe I'll stop by and mix cocktails for you and your wife when you glue the final parts together.. ;)
Interesting discussion, to bad no one has the answer. (And neither do I.... )

If I had to ask someone I would try Sjors Trimbach (Brickboy), he's doing this for a long time. And perhaps Shin Tanaka because of his Air Force One designs...

If you find the answer, will you let me know: I love to know more about this....
Well, I believe that as long as the models are free, art, it's okay to use them. It's free advertising for them, and you aren't making any money off of their product. And as long as you aren't confusing the public with it, meaning that you are not implying that your toys are made by, or for the companies who's logos you are using. Or represented by. To be extra safe, you might want to consider adding a disclaimer on the template, stating that "company logo used without permission and this toy is not represented by company"... or something like that.

As for the toy being printed in a magazine or what have you, I don't think most publishers would print it at all, if you don't have the permission to use the loge. But I'm not sure about this part of it at all.

Keep in mind that I am no lawyer, this is just what I believe it to be. In any case, I do know that as long as you aren't making money using their logo, all they can really do is send you a cease and diciest letter, telling you to stop. But I think most of these companies that we use in the "urban art" world, are savvy to the viral marketing advantages that it holds for them. I think they are happy to see you do it. It's just good advertising.

The real question I believe we all need to be asking ourselves is, "What are the business practices of the companies we are promoting?" Before we put their logos on our art.
Nice Bunny summed it up nicely. "...as long as the models are free, art, it's okay to use them. It's free advertising for them, and you aren't making any money off of their product. And as long as you aren't confusing the public with it, meaning that you are not implying that your toys are made by, or for the companies who's logos you are using. Or represented by. To be extra safe, you might want to consider adding a disclaimer on the template,"

As for my own site I have only offered designs based on pop culture icons so far. The disclaimer I use is a modified version of one I received from Epic Games (the makers of Gears of War) because of a Munny I posted on an older site that my friend had made for his cousin that we were sent a cease and desist over.

Epic's original disclaimer reads as follows:
"The material presented here is my original creation, is not official and is not endorsed by Epic Games, Inc. Gears of War, Marcus Fenix and the Crimson Omen are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries."

My site's disclaimer (which I only have on the page and not the models... maybe I should do that...." is: "The material presented here is my original creation, any characters not created by myself are in no way official nor endorsed by their owners, they are either trademarks or registered trademarks of their owners in the United States and/or other countries."

So far I have not received any complaints, C&D's or otherwise. In fact I have been contacted by a few people involved with the properties and given support.

On a side note, when I did the 4Kids papercraft I was given specific legal lines for each property (Sonic, TMNT etc). One had to be on the model and the other had to be one the page of the design somewhere.
Thanks guys!

I think i will give it a try and share them...
First of all i will create a biggie with my overhead projector.

Rock on,

Ring

RSS

Check out these amazing Papertoy Books featuring your favorite papertoy artists

Forum

Shin tanka 168 Replies

Started by Zo dude in Sample Title. Last reply by Greenelf Feb 24, 2018.

Community magazine contributions wanted

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized May 21, 2017.

Anyone hunting for Old Cardboy Papercrafts? (Back after 4 years) 18 Replies

Started by Adam T in Sample Title. Last reply by remigio ansorena Nov 4, 2015.

Character art practice for new template 1 Reply

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by eddie rodriguez Sep 4, 2015.

Improvisation Paper-Toys 27 Replies

Started by VinsArt in Sample Title. Last reply by Castleforte Jul 31, 2015.

Who created this paperkit? 13 Replies

Started by 3Eyed Bear in Sample Title. Last reply by Steven Johnson Jan 16, 2015.

Test builders 3 Replies

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shadree Aug 20, 2014.

Another PaperToy idea I have

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title Jul 22, 2014.

Site overrun by spam

Started by Neurogami in Sample Title May 19, 2014.

building new toys!

Started by ryan ellison in Uncategorized Nov 5, 2013.

Badge

Loading…

About

Castleforte created this Ning Network.

© 2022   Created by Castleforte.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service