Nice Paper Toys

The Papertoy Network!

It first, I thought it means toys that have designs like what DMC does. Those with hip hop or fashionable designs. But after seeing the toys from the Urban paper, I totally don't understand the word 'Urban' anymore.

Anyone mind explaining it to me?

Views: 215

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think what it means is the difference between papercraft and papertoy, paperkrafts are hugley complex and can take years to make, papertoys take an howr or so the make and others can edit the design.
Maybe it means artists toy/charachters that are not just replicas from games. They are a unique toy that an artist can do anything with! Blank templates are good too!
I think Urban is a reference to the hip hop aesthetic which for me is to take simple popular media and create outsider art that is as creatively valid as the classical forms. Reflecting its early days in deprived inner cities.

You have music that is made out of remixing other music or altering musical equipment
rhythmical/poetical chanting (rap) to the level of great music
graffiti- paintings with utilitarian paint technology (spray cans, stencils)

For me a common element is remixing- taking themes and undercurrents and using them in innovative ways.

Even so the Urban tag is not really big enough for the subject- maybe it covers paper trainers and cartoon characters etc but Indonesian Gods? And such an international community.

Brian's 'Nice Paper Toys' is a good catch all for the theme or I like to think of them as Paper Glyphs- like a three dimensional hieroglyphic. A new language!
I'm rollin' with Mystery on this one. Remixin', samplin', mash-ups. Take from the past, unusual not the obvious and create somethin' fresh and exitin'. And it's gotta be Funky. Even Indonesian Gods. =)
I think I start to get the idea of it. New, innovative, in.

Anyway, thanks for your answers guys :)

RSS

Check out these amazing Papertoy Books featuring your favorite papertoy artists

Forum

Shin tanka 168 Replies

Started by Zo dude in Sample Title. Last reply by Greenelf Feb 24, 2018.

Community magazine contributions wanted

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized May 21, 2017.

Anyone hunting for Old Cardboy Papercrafts? (Back after 4 years) 18 Replies

Started by Adam T in Sample Title. Last reply by remigio ansorena Nov 4, 2015.

Character art practice for new template 1 Reply

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by eddie rodriguez Sep 4, 2015.

Improvisation Paper-Toys 27 Replies

Started by VinsArt in Sample Title. Last reply by Castleforte Jul 31, 2015.

Who created this paperkit? 13 Replies

Started by 3Eyed Bear in Sample Title. Last reply by Steven Johnson Jan 16, 2015.

Test builders 3 Replies

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shadree Aug 20, 2014.

Another PaperToy idea I have

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title Jul 22, 2014.

Site overrun by spam

Started by Neurogami in Sample Title May 19, 2014.

building new toys!

Started by ryan ellison in Uncategorized Nov 5, 2013.

Badge

Loading…

About

Castleforte created this Ning Network.

© 2019   Created by Castleforte.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service