Nice Paper Toys

The Papertoy Network!

Hiya!

I played around with the combination of those two a bit and was surprised, when PD got problems with a simple figure like this one:

I chose the edges PD is supposed to cut open manually, but still it would not result in a single form - apparently it had problems with the "attached" ring. I was just surprised, as it's easily possible with a single form... closed & simple shapes work fine tho. I ended up drawing the model by hand, which is fine as well but takes longer.

Anyone else fiddled around with the PD software and more complex models?

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes i know, I did not have problems creating the model - but i was wondering why PD had problems in cutting the shape.. as i thought its not really complicated. Looks like you really can only use PD for simple models or closed ones.
That's one of the reasons that I don't use 3D programs and Pepakura: you end up with a extremely complex flat version of a simple shape...
The papertoys I make are that simple, that I can draw it myself. The only reason I would use it, is with complex shape like a sphere... and it will probably need some work to get that workable.
I have been playing with pepakura3D today and came across a similar problem. For some reason it was cutting off a part that could easily have stayed attached.

Even weirder, the new model has 2 arms, which are mirror images, but Pepakura3D was doing the arms in 2 totally different ways... Weird.

There's another shape that was easier to make in 3D, so now I'm just going to put it into Illustrator and tweak from there. It's nice to make a quick sketch though.
I saw you fixed the "problem" with or without pepakura ..
http://www.nicepapertoys.com/profiles/blog/show?id=1905839%3ABlogPo...
to be honest i had it already fixed when i posted about the problem but wanted feedback on the limitations of Pepakura, which seem plenty. ;)
I guess I'll end up doing more manual work then i thought, only using PD to maybe cut open a form to get an idea, but that's about it then.

One thing i was thinking about tho - i still have to try - is to maybe insert some kind of small cut into eg. SketchUp to create the "cutting" at the right side. But then again i would not end up with a complete template but had to alter it by hand again as well.

Should have been nice to speed up the template building process and just invest more time in inventing. =)
Hmm.. not sure i understand what you mean. The "ring" up front is just made out of "flat surfaces", like i just draw a rectangle in SketchUp. I tried to tell Pepakura manually which edges to cut, but i did not work nontheless.
aha, yes now i know what you mean. I'll have a look at that model again and see if it's possible to do that (as the "ring" is just a flat surface). Thank you for the tip, I'll check it out.
Just a cross reference, as a reminder to myself. Had a hard time finding the corresponding blog post, when i searched for it last time.
Google Sketchup unfold plugin

RSS

Check out these amazing Papertoy Books featuring your favorite papertoy artists

Forum

Shin tanka 168 Replies

Started by Zo dude in Sample Title. Last reply by Greenelf Feb 24, 2018.

Community magazine contributions wanted

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized May 21, 2017.

Anyone hunting for Old Cardboy Papercrafts? (Back after 4 years) 18 Replies

Started by Adam T in Sample Title. Last reply by remigio ansorena Nov 4, 2015.

Character art practice for new template 1 Reply

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by eddie rodriguez Sep 4, 2015.

Improvisation Paper-Toys 27 Replies

Started by VinsArt in Sample Title. Last reply by Castleforte Jul 31, 2015.

Who created this paperkit? 13 Replies

Started by 3Eyed Bear in Sample Title. Last reply by Steven Johnson Jan 16, 2015.

Test builders 3 Replies

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shadree Aug 20, 2014.

Another PaperToy idea I have

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title Jul 22, 2014.

Site overrun by spam

Started by Neurogami in Sample Title May 19, 2014.

building new toys!

Started by ryan ellison in Uncategorized Nov 5, 2013.

Badge

Loading…

About

Castleforte created this Ning Network.

© 2019   Created by Castleforte.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service