Nice Paper Toys

The Papertoy Network!

just curious as to how many of you create art for a living and how many make papercraft using their skills

Stay Nice,

Anubis OUT!

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a (web)designer by trade, so I guess I'm a pro. I think most of the people here are designers?
im just a fan of papercraft...lol....ive tried making a few paper toys but im not too good as i dont have that many skills and don't have very good software either...:P.... i only really have one design that i think is good and worth maybe uploading....but im still experimenting.

im not an artist but i love to just draw and sketch and muck around with different "artistic" ideas..

im seriously considering a career in concept design for like games and movies...dont exactly know what those people are called, but whatever you call them, i wanna be'em.:)
Sounds like an artist to me :)
thnx man :)
one day i might be as good as you :P :)
They're called "Concept artists". It's a cool job if you can get it.

You need to be able to think big for set design and small for costume design. And they need your sketches in an hour.

As for software:
For a simple 3D program, try "Google Sketchup" (The Free program is good enough. The only difference with the Pro version seems to be the export function.)

And then use "Pepakura designer" to "unfold" the 3D model into a paper model. (I'm still getting to grasps with the interface, but it works.)
I have a day job as staff Illustrator/Designer. I mostly design for kids which is a lot of fun. I also get the chance to do a lot of paper toys at work for our restaurant clients, the kind you'd find in a kids meal. The paper train I posted in the pics is one I did for work. I'll post some more soon. It's really pushed my work more to the paper engineering side of things than I would have ventured on my own, which has been a cool challenge and can be applied to the paper stuff I do outside of work. I feel super fortunate to work at a place that lets me do what I love to do. I also do a lot of freelance paper, illustration and design stuff at night after the kiddos are in bed.
I am a freelance motion graphics designer. Before that I was a graphic designer. My work is often creative, but not always, but it's never really "art". I have a serious need to create constantly, and I have the most fun when I'm creating paper toys. And I'm just getting started. ;) But I have yet to create them for my job. But maybe one of these days.
I'm a real "Renaissance Man"! I'm currently working for a advertisement company as an designer/developer/animator. My specialty is Flash. Before my career in webdesign, I studied graphic design. And before that I studied to be in construction.....

So I know all programs used in (web)design and I have no problem visualizing stuff in 3D (in my head, not in the 3D programs).

To get back at the question: I do create art for a living, but it's mostly animation (and code) and the skills I use at work is not really used when creating papercraft.

I use papercraft (and other stuff) to create balance: when I program a lot at work, I build/design papercraft at home.
But I have never used papercraft at work.
Designer , Animator and Director kind of thing... I love motion graphics and mainly work in that realm , but I love the idea of toys, and am totally fascinated, even they do come in the form of paper =)

RSS

Check out these amazing Papertoy Books featuring your favorite papertoy artists

Forum

Shin tanka 168 Replies

Started by Zo dude in Sample Title. Last reply by Greenelf Feb 24, 2018.

Community magazine contributions wanted

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized May 21, 2017.

Anyone hunting for Old Cardboy Papercrafts? (Back after 4 years) 18 Replies

Started by Adam T in Sample Title. Last reply by remigio ansorena Nov 4, 2015.

Character art practice for new template 1 Reply

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by eddie rodriguez Sep 4, 2015.

Improvisation Paper-Toys 27 Replies

Started by VinsArt in Sample Title. Last reply by Castleforte Jul 31, 2015.

Who created this paperkit? 13 Replies

Started by 3Eyed Bear in Sample Title. Last reply by Steven Johnson Jan 16, 2015.

Test builders 3 Replies

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shadree Aug 20, 2014.

Another PaperToy idea I have

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title Jul 22, 2014.

Site overrun by spam

Started by Neurogami in Sample Title May 19, 2014.

building new toys!

Started by ryan ellison in Uncategorized Nov 5, 2013.

Badge

Loading…

About

Castleforte created this Ning Network.

© 2019   Created by Castleforte.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service