Nice Paper Toys

I was just wondering how those of you, who offer stuff in plastic bags with paper "header" produce them. Like Matt's Space Monkey or Brian's stickers, etc. Do you create them (the plastic bags with the header) by hand or are there producers out there who can create them for a small edition for attractive coin (rather cheap)? Just curious about the production... as i think it's more complex to automatize then eg. printing a flyer.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm curious about this as well.
I think it all depends on the amount you're intending to produce. If you're going to do about a hundred or less, there's no point in automating the process.

Buy a batch of plastic sleeves, print your own card "headers" and attach to them yourself, shouldnt take more than a few hours of work.

There's no factory or producer likely to do such a small run for a reasonable price.

If you're going for thousands, then that's a different story :)
That's exactly the point.. what will you do if you produce a batch with 500 or 1000 pieces - it's not that many, but is it enough? Of course i know that eg. Sjors will have to do them manually if he produces limited runs for his badgers, but where is the breaking point? And which companies can do them for smaller editions?
hmm.. I guess the breaking point is when you decide that your time spent doing other things could earn you more cash instead.

Well, China and Thailand! :D
Well, as I'm an economist and not a designer i know exactly what we're talking about. ;)

I'm just curious how some produce their limited editions, seems to me that many designers set their heart on small editions and invest a lot of time doing so. Makes me wonder how cheap some stuff is being sold at their websites.

Still waiting for some field reports from those who do it tho.. =)
Okay :D if you do find out, do share it with me! I'm going to go into the vinyl industry with a partner very soon... So I've been doing research into the area of mass production.
For Comic Monkey I just bought bags from a website Nicebunny clued me in on www.clearbags.com, they have a million different sizes. I also bought backing board from them. I just hand cut the header card, which I just made of card stock on a color printer and stapled 'em together myself.
Thanks for the info. Doing the comic monkey by yourself probably took some time. Or did you spend "quality time" with your wife in front of the TV while having the two of you maintaining your own "co-production"? ;)

The thing why I'm interested in this kind of production is, that by giving even a small edition (does not matter if it's papertoys or something else) a "professional look" people will perceive a product like that immediately in a very different way. And of course I'm aware that part of the time spent on doing it has to be written off as advertizing yourself - so of course it's not possible to put an exact price tag on the time spent on those.
On a personal note this just makes me want to buy more of those small editions, knowing the work put in.

PS: Matt, you should read comments in your own blog more often. :P
Ha, that's funny. That's how I do it... quality time with the wife, in front of the tv, while she helps me cut and then I build.

And yes, as Matt said, ClearBags.com is the place to go. Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. Another great resource, for inkjet papers and inks is InkJetArt.com

RSS

Forum

Another PaperToy idea I have

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title yesterday.

Anyone hunting for Old Cardboy Papercrafts? (Back after 4 years) 11 Replies

Started by Adam T in Sample Title. Last reply by Orchidia Jul 18.

Site overrun by spam

Started by Neurogami in Sample Title May 19.

Test builders 2 Replies

Started by Shadree in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shadree Nov 26, 2013.

building new toys!

Started by ryan ellison in Uncategorized Nov 5, 2013.

Tools (Software) 43 Replies

Started by Tephlon in Uncategorized. Last reply by ryan ellison Nov 3, 2013.

SpeakerDog 20 Replies

Started by fivz wu in Sample Title. Last reply by sasha lim Oct 19, 2013.

Your first papertoy 56 Replies

Started by Tawa in Uncategorized. Last reply by merrci Sep 25, 2013.

Papertoy designers Database 58 Replies

Started by BW in Sample Title. Last reply by Mike P Sep 3, 2013.

New Paper Toy Site

Started by Daveybird in Sample Title Jun 9, 2013.

Badge

Loading…

About

Castleforte created this Ning Network.

© 2014   Created by Castleforte.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service